Growing the industry: Education programme Tahi Rua Toru Tech
One of the programmes we ITP deliver is Tahi Rua Toru Tech. We do this with the help of our corporate and education partners who enable us to create, support and share education resources for schools and kura around the motu.
Today when enrolments in tertiary and vocational education are down and the employment market is so tight, employers are struggling with the skills and talent crisis. This means programmes like Tahi Rua Toru Tech and Tech Hub Talks are now more important than ever.
Both of our programmes are focused on the pipeline into our industry, showcasing careers and the diverse range of roles available.
We have just compiled insights into Tahi Rua Toru Tech for 2022 and are thrilled to update you that:
- 16,000+ tamariki (children) were involved across the motu
- 1,900+ teachers learned more about the digital technology curriculum while supporting learners through the programme
- 80% of the 2022 national winners were girls!!!!!
Tahi Rua Toru Tech runs throughout the year with a national competition in Term 4. The winners in 2022 were all inspiring, we sent them certificates and medals but wanted to ensure you were able to also celebrate their great mahi. Below is a summary and you can read more detail on thier projects and the other amazing finalists here:
- Arahoe School – won the Discovery competition with their project focused on Binary
- Peachgrove Intermediate – won the Year 5-8 competition with their food hygiene project
- Palmerston North Girls High School – won the Year 9-10 competition for a clothing app with built in gamification
- Ben Chapman from Taupo-Nui-A-Tia College – won the Year 11-13 competition with his environmentally friendly product identification app.
Blown away? We were!
The programme has already commenced in term 1 2023 and we are looking forward to another year of growth, reaching more students and supporting more teachers so they can seemlessly integrate digital technology into their classrooms. The more support we receive, the greater our impact so if you are able to sponsor this wonderful programme please let us know via [email protected]. We would love to hear from you. Ngā mihi Vic and the ITP team.
This is one post in a series of blog posts on Growing the Industry:
- Language https://techblog.nz/2833Growing-the-industry-Language
- Belonging https://techblog.nz/2945-Growing-the-industry-Belonging
- Expanding our definition of diversity https://techblog.nz/2908-Growing-the-Industry-Expanding-our-definition-of-diversity
- Mentoring https://techblog.nz/2845-Growing-the-industry-Mentoring
- Foundational Skills https://techblog.nz/3050-Growing-the-industry-Foundational-skills
- Talking tech in schools https://techblog.nz/3110-Growing-the-Industry-Talking-tech-in-schools
You must be logged in in order to post comments. Log In