ITP News in brief November 23rd
Kia ora koutou ITP members and supporters. I am writing this while sitting in a lovely student space at Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology, it was called Nelson Polytechnic when I came here and didn’t have these bright airy buildings or flash computing labs. The students are mostly finished for the year but there is still a great vibe and I am enjoying catching up with teachers and NISA the student led organisation for those studying Information Systems.
Our sorting through boxes continues in the ITP office and last week we found the very first minutes of the Data Processing and Computing Society of NZ meeting, held on 9th February 1961. The Minute book and Finance book were both typed and hand written with pages pasted into the book and signed.
Events in brief
Webinar - To celebrate International Day of
People With Disabilities Disabled People we are getting together with some friends to discuss the language used around disabilities. Even IDPWD can be problematic. Come along and hear some different perspectives on Disabled People vs People with Disabilities, access needs vs special needs, wheelchair user or wheelchair bound. This free webinar will provide insight into the complexities of language and the impact words can have.
This webinar will be delivered by the wonderful Chandra Harrison on Monday 5th December at Midday. You can register here:
For Students (I think in the Te Pūkenga network but not sure) Summer School, Microsoft Bootcamps supported by Datacom. 100% online priced at $49 and include materials, practice tests and certification exams. For students there are also opportunities for internships with Datacom. https://www.industryview.com.au/studentbootcamp
Reminder ITP events coming up
Online - Hot off the press - Ann-Marie Cavanagh, Deputy Government Chief Digital Officer (GCDO) of DIA (Department of Internal Affairs), has confirmed she can join me for a Fireside Chat on Friday December 2nd at 1pm - please look it into your schedules, the event will come out this week. Ann-Marie and I will talk about the Digital Strategy for Aotearoa, what the GCDO has in store for 2023 and answer your questions.
Dunedin Ōtepoti - Minister Clark will be joining a group of us for a panel event in person in Dunedin on 30th November (next week on Wednesday) at midday. This includes networking and light lunch. I’ll be there and would love to meet you.
Ōtautahi Christchurch - pre-Christmas get together is on the 1st of December at 6pm, at The Cuban.
Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland - Future of ITP Auckland event on the 6th of December at 6pm at Unitec. This event will also include a celebration of the 250 wonderful cartoons Brendan has developed for us. And everyone who attends can take away a cartoon book. I will also be there so hope to meet you.
Online Tech Chat Tuesdays - The next Tech Chat Tuesday is also on the 6th of December at 12:30pm, this is a great event, with in-depth discussions on a range of topics. For ITP Members only this event is an online only one.
Reading in brief
- PriceSpy have put out some advice on navigating Black Friday with care. There are some really interesting insights here on the types of products discounted and level of discount offered. Worth a read. PriceSpy - Black Friday Report 2022 - Part Two
- Sick of buying things you can’t repair? Sign the Consumer NZ petition for a repairability label to be added to products so it’s easy for you to identify if that thing can be repaired or not, this can also help with making a decision on whether to send something to landfill when it fails too
- Nice resource on fighting fraud in your organisation
- Cloudflare launch Supercloud - good to see competitors in the market but know nothing about this product.
- Andy Anderson, an ITP member, wrote this article back in 2019 on working in the security intelligence space, his first computer and moving from Scotland to Aotearoa NZ.
Enjoy your week. Vic
You must be logged in in order to post comments. Log In